Now is the best time to make the most of all that we love about summer; seasonal fruits such a mangoes and lychees, colourful vegetables like sweetcorn, squash and zucchini.
I think what I love most about summer is cooking outdoors and entertaining with friends and family, soaking up the longer days and warmer weather – over a chilled bottle of white or rose.
Summer is the perfect opportunity to utilise your BBQ, it’s amazing how much you can cook on it; BBQ your meat as well as seafood like whole fish and prawns and experiment with different vegetables like corn and asparagus. It’s perfect for hot summer nights when it’s too hot to cook inside and a great way to entertain and interact with your guests.
My Lamb Loin dish is the perfect BBQ recipe for entertaining, it’s simple and quick with minimal cleaning up but will definitely impress. It’s also an ideal recipe for a quick and healthy weeknight meal but try to use good quality lamb, olive oil and feta as this will really make a difference to the overall taste of the dish – Enjoy!
Lamb Loin with Peas, Feta & Pine Nuts
6 x 150g lamb loins, trimmed
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra
2 cups fresh or frozen peas
4 tbsp feta
2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
Good handful of mint leaves chopped
Cracked black pepper
1. Season the lamb loin and drizzle over some olive oil.
2. Heat a barbecue grill or frypan to a high heat and cook the lamb loins for 1 minute on each side.
3. The meat should not be overcooked, but pink in the middle. Leave to rest.
4. Cook the peas in salted boiling water until tender. Drain and crush with a fork.
5. Add the feta and crush further to combine.
6. Add the toasted pine nuts and mint, a squeeze of lemon and a good splash of olive oil and pepper.
7. Spoon the crushed peas among individual serving plates.
8. Slice each lamb loin into about 5 to 6 slices and arrange on top of the crushed peas.
9. Spoon more crushed peas and mint on top.
10. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.
By Luke Mangan
You might also like…
Luke Mangan’s Favourite Tapas Recipes