In partnership with Kamalaya Holistic Wellness Retreat
Sleep is so important for maintaining overall health because it allows your body the opportunity to rest, relax, replenish, rejuvenate, and regenerate. But it’s not uncommon to experience problems with sleep at some stage in life.
Common contributors to the disturbance of sleep can include stress, overwork and raised cortisol levels.
Working irregular hours can also affect your body’s circadian rhythm and disrupt your sleep.
Emotional issues such as grief and anxiety are also common factors.
Meanwhile, production of the essential sleep hormone melatonin can be affected by excessive exposure to the blue light emitted from mobile phone and laptop screens.
Dietary factors such as a low intake of essential nutrients necessary for producing melatonin and eating too close to your bedtime can also contribute to sleep imbalances.
Follow our top five tips to create healthier sleep habits to build a better sleep routine:
1. Go to be earlier than usual, latest by 10pm. Staying away late can increase cortisol levels and affect production of your essential sleep hormone, melatonin.
2. Do not consume any caffeinated drinks after 12 noon. It takes at least six hours for your body to process half of any caffeine you have consumed.
3. Put away any digital distractions one hour or more before going to bed. Avoid screentime and read a book instead or listen to some relaxation music. Try some gentle stretching to allow your body to register it is time to sleep.
4. Ensure your bedroom is dark and that the temperature is between 18 and 20 degrees Celsius.
5. Tap into mindfulness practices such as breathing exercises, meditation, or journaling that encourage you to pause, reflect and process your emotions or thoughts from the day. These simple exercises will help calm your mind before you fall asleep.
The Life Enhancement Mentors at Kamalaya Koh Samui can provide one to one online personal mentoring which allows for a rewarding outlet to share and filter your thoughts and feelings in confidence and in complete privacy.
The Life Enhancement Mentors at Kamalaya Koh Samui can also guide you through Pranayama breathing techniques and meditations to help you achieve greater mind-body connection, which can lead to a better night’s sleep.
For more information about sleep enhancement wellness programs, visit Kamalaya.com or book an online session to start getting your health goals back on track.