Have you ever wondered how some people maintain clear, gorgeous, glowing skin, no matter the season?
Springtime beauty brings a whole new set of challenges. With warmer, drier weather, unseasonably sunnier days, and occasional flashes of humidity, our skin is forced to adapt fast. We turned to skin expert and aesthetic nurse Lisa Rush for her insights on transitioning your skin from winter to spring.
“As the chill of winter gives way to the gentle warmth of spring, our skin undergoes significant changes. Transitioning your skincare routine to accommodate these shifts is essential for maintaining a healthy, radiant complexion. In this article, we’ll explore how your skin changes from winter to spring and provide valuable tips for adapting your skincare and treatment routines accordingly.” Lisa Rush
Winter to Spring Skin Transition
- Moisturisers: Bid farewell to your heavy, rich winter moisturiser and opt for a lighter, hydrating formula. Spring brings higher humidity levels, so a lighter moisturiser will help prevent your skin from feeling overly greasy.
- Antioxidants: As the days grow longer and the sun becomes more prominent, your skin’s need for protection against UV rays and free radicals increases. Incorporate antioxidant-rich products into your routine, such as vitamin C serums or ferulic acid. These antioxidants help combat signs of aging and protect your skin from environmental damage.
Spring Skincare Tips
- SPF is a Must: Don’t forget to apply sunscreen daily, even on cloudy days. Spring sun can be deceiving, and UV rays are still present. Choose a broad-spectrum SPF 50 or higher to shield your skin from harmful UV radiation.
- Exfoliation: Winter can leave your skin with a buildup of dead skin cells. Consider exfoliating once or twice a week to reveal a fresh, radiant complexion. Gentle chemical exfoliants like alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) or beta hydroxy acids (BHAs) are great choices.
- Hydrate from Within: Hydration isn’t just about topical products. Ensure you’re drinking enough water to keep your skin hydrated from the inside out. Herbal teas, infused water, and plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables can also contribute to your skin’s hydration.
Lisa further recommends these top clinical treatments to her clients to fast track their skin glow up:
- Hydrafacial: A Hydrafacial is an excellent treatment to rejuvenate your skin for spring. It combines exfoliation, extraction, hydration, and antioxidant protection in one session, leaving your skin refreshed and glowing.
- Ultraformer MPT Ultra Boost facial: Our new kid on the block delivers ultrasound waves into the skin to plump and firm while delivering brightening ingredients to the surface.
- Venus Versa and TruSculpt ID: These non-invasive treatments can help tighten and contour the skin on your face and body. Venus Versa uses multi-polar radio frequency to stimulate collagen production, while TruSculpt ID uses radiofrequency energy to reduce fat and improve skin texture.
On the skincare side, it’s launch season with an avalanche of new products to consider swapping in for a spring glow-up. We tried and tested so you don’t have to. Here is the Ageless spring edit:
Masks and Treatments
A deep-cleansing mask, that’s still gentle and caring for your skin, helps exfoliate, purify, and absorb excess oil. We love:
Minenssey Vegan Collagen Mask Set, is a brilliant collection of 4 Vegan Collagen Clay Masks that can be customised to suit your skin no matter what its need or mood.
12 x 9ml $78 Minenssey Vegan Collagen Mask Set
Grown Alchemist Skin Renewal Mask with snow mushroom, echinacea, and fruit acids is a brightening and renewing mask perfect for the spring transition.
75 ml $72 Grown Alchemist Skin Renewal Mask
Lighten up the moisturiser but don’t skip on efficacy:
Switching to a lighter, fluid formulation can help achieve hydration and balance and is great if you are already layering with serums. Two standouts to consider:
Fresh Rose Deep Hydration Balancing Emulsion is a gorgeous, lightweight formula for weightless hydration. Fast-absorbing, the light-as-a-feather lotion is infused with damask rose extract and hyaluronic acid for balanced, softened, and smoothed-out skin.
Profhilo Haenkenium Multi-Action Antioxidant Cream for face, neck, and decolletage contains high and low molecular weight hyaluronic acid and their proprietary HAENKENIUM, a potent antioxidant. Name sound familiar? Yes, this is from the same company that produces the famed aesthetic injectable of the same name. This topical skin booster ensures skin is screened from free radical damage, plumped, and balanced year-round. The cream is deeply hydrating and still suitable for the change of season.
50ml $120 Profhilo Multi-Action Antioxidant Cream
Update your serums
Speaking of serums, look for formulations that are lighter and specifically designed for supporting the skin microbiome. With breakouts and excess oil production likely in transitional months, it’s tempting to over-treat with actives; instead, we are choosing to keep the skin surface balanced and healthy as our key goal. These super naturals are here to save the day:
Emma Lewisham Live Skin Probiotic, is a game-changer. A dual-barrel pump dispenses the balancing moisturiser infused with live probiotics to encourage a flourishing and healthy microbiome. Used morning and night under your moisturiser and before SPF, this serum is perfectly suited for trans-seasonal regimes and climates.
30 ml $145 Emma Lewisham Live Skin Probiotic
Jojoba Company Ultimate Youth Potion is a skin booster that supports hydration, healthy skin lipids, and increases elasticity. Age-defying and infused with vitamins, antioxidants, and essential omegas from pure jojoba and plant oils, this face oil features their patented L22 formula which mimics the skin lipid profile of a healthy 22-year-old.
50 ml $46.95 Jojoba Company Ultimate Youth Potion
Exfoliating Is Still Important
While over-exfoliating is never wise, spring is a great time to incorporate more exfoliation into your skincare routine. This is especially important if your skin is oily or peri/ menopausal.
Keep in mind though, chemical exfoliants can make your skin more sensitive to the sun. As such, sunscreen is more important than ever. The skin transformers that work:
MCo Beauty AHA & BHA Pore Refining Exfoliating Toner harnesses Salicylic Acid (BHA), Lactic Acid (AHA), and Glycolic Acid (AHA) to gently exfoliate dead skin cells, smooth skin texture, and prevent blemishes.
FillMed Skin Perfusion Glycopeel Mask with 15% Glycolic Acid, Phytic Acid, and Pro-Vitamin B5 Used once a week, this clinical-style mask is designed to banish dull complexions, fine lines, and blemishes. 15% glycolic acid delivers powerful and gentle exfoliation and unclogs pores, Phytic acid helps to brighten dark spots and Allantoin is both calming and soothing.
50ml $110 FillMed Skin Perfusion Glycopeel Mask
Don’t skip eye cream
Because the sun is more prominent in the spring, we are more prone to squinting and sneezing from hay fever, which means more contraction and movement around the delicate skin of the eyes. To combat the fine lines and wrinkles that can form around the eyes, switch to an eye cream with a high concentration of antioxidants and peptides. The duo works to both ward off the collagen-destroying effects of UVA rays and plump up the fine lines and wrinkles that have already formed. Worth the splurge:
Guerlain Abeille Royale Double R (Renew and Repair) Eye Serum features sculpting, brightening, and lifting technology. Enriched with White Honey Extract and Dynamic Black Bee Repair Technology, with daily use, puffiness is banished, the eye area is visibly more open and youthful. This glorious serum can be applied to the entire eye area, including eye contour, eyelids, and even lashes morning and evening.
ISDIN Isdinceutics K-OxEyes Cream targets puffiness, dark circles, and fine lines with the assistance of vitamin K Oxide, hyaluronic acid, Haloxyl, and Eyliss. Applied morning and night, the ceramic applicator gently massages the potent formula to visibly rejuvenate the under-eye area.
Lisa’s key takeaway for the best spring skin?
“The transition from winter to spring offers a great opportunity to refresh your skincare routine. With the right adjustments, your skin will thank you for the extra care during this season.”