Did you know that the average Australian consumes more than 24 teaspoons of sugar everyday? And not just from the sugar bowl… This addictive additive is hidden in many common foods and drinks. Raw cane sugar is a crystal killer; causing diabetes, cancer and cardiovascular disease, whilst diets high in sugar are linked to the cause of Alzheimer’s disease, osteoporosis, immune dysfunction, imbalance of digestive flora, yeast infections, depression, various skin conditions and ADD. Many Australians could be eating and drinking themselves to an early grave just by adding this killer sweetener to their meals…
Natural sweeteners are a potential alternative to using cane sugars in beverages and baking. Instead of adding that teaspoon or two to your tea or coffee, you could try some simple and tasty alternatives including honey, rice syrup, agave nectar or the new generation of naturally derived sweeteners.
We share expert tips from Natvia (www.natvia.com.au) a natural sweetener that can be used in exactly the same ways as sugar and is made from the leaves of the stevia plant and blended with natural fruit nectars, on how to reduce your sugar intake every day. Five tips to lower your sugar intake:
1. Eat whole fresh foods Snack on fresh fruit, nuts, yoghurt or cheese and crackers, instead of sweet biscuits, chocolate or cakes.
2. Swap Sugar for a natural sweetener There’s no reason to go cold turkey. Natural sweetners can be used on your cappuccino or even in your favourite cupcakes.
3. Swap cereal sugar for a natural Sweetener Top your breakfast cereal with fruit, yoghurt or a natural sweetener.
4. Special occasions only Save sweet treats like lollies, chocolate, cakes and biscuits for special occasions. You’ll enjoy them more!
5. Swap Soft Drink for Water Instead of soft drink, juice or cordial, quench your thirst with water. Always carry a bottle of water with you.