I may as well face it, you’ll all do it. Won’t you? I’ll do it too but under restraint and in moderation.
My exercise regime WILL NOT GO OUT THE WINDOW. In fact it beefs up a little. How? More time means I can fit more sessions in. More sessions in means more wine and cheese- It’s hardly rocket science, right? But didn’t you read a post from a self proclaimed expert who said “You can’t out exercise a bad diet”. Well truth be told- they are right however factoring in your “naughty time” during Christmas means you can very well have you cheese and eat it too. Back to the exercise thang- daily, first thing in the morning. I don’t spend my days slothing around so I want energy. Exercise gives me…energy! Try this workout if you have no equipment. It’s just 3 simple exercises. Pushed for time and only have 10 mins- Great! You can make that work. Make it your goal to start off with one chunk of 10 mins and then increase that to 2 chunks of 10 mins till you can complete 3 or 4 chunks. These exercises burn a load of calories and don’t be fool but only 3 exercises, they will target your whole body and get you closer to that bikini bod you’ve asked Santa for!
The squat, drop and jump
Start by performing a squat, get down nice and low. You’re sitting into your butt cheeks and thighs. Keep the heels flat down on the floor. As you come up, get ready to “throw” yourself down onto the floor. Control this move with your arms and abs. Keep your elbows tucked into your waist and push yourself up into a jump. Be explosive with this movement and then repeat for 60 secs
Hip extension: You’ll need a chair for this one. As shown in the image, have your head and top of shoulders resting on the seat of the chair. Next with your heels as wide as your hips squeeze through your butt and push upwards into the direction of your ceiling or the sky. You want to perform a nice full controlled movement. Go all through full range of movement with these move. Repeat this “bridge” for 60 secs
Walking lunge: Start with your feet together and step out with left leg parallel to the ground, bend the knee till it almost touches the floor and using butt & thighs return back up. Repeat on the other side by stepping right leg through and repeating for 60 secs. Always alternate sides as you perform this move.
More tips during the silly season:
– I will maintain sugar less living! Holla 50DaysNoSugar. Did you see these super cute strawberry & cream santa’s on Rescu’s FB page?
– I am conscious the booze-o-meter goes off the charts around the holidays however I will “pencil” in 3-4 days off the vino to allow a little repair & replenishing. Coconut water is my friend and yours not to mention the good old fashioned plain stuff too. More than 2 litres per day will keep us in hydration land. Consume more if you are more active
– My Stereo will be busting out some summer tunes and intermittally I’ll groove along to my faves. Dancing burns loads of calories. Dance for an hour and you’ve knocked off half a bottle of white wine.
– What about swapping your indoor treadmill routine for a beach soft sand session? Treadmill at 10km/h burns roughly 300-400 cals in 30 mins, soft sand burns 1.6 times that amount. Functionally speaking, you will do your body a favour giving the treadmill a break. Moving in a more natural movement pattern (when was the last time you saw the ground moving underneath you? That’s right- never. You need to propel yourself through your hips, glutes , legs and core. You move not the floor.)
– Ask yourself if a wheel of brie is worth the 1500 odd calories. If it isn’t then swap it for 200g vegetable crudités (assorted sliced fresh veggies) with 200g chobani greek yoghurt mixed with a chopped cucumber, few sprigs mint and a drizzle of garlic olive oil. That little swap will save you over 1100 cals! If you want to cheese it up, go for a harder style cheese and opt for slices of carrot instead of crackers.
Merry Christmas to all & Have a cracking 2013, I’ll see you on the flip side x
Thanks for reading,