This year’s Emmys saw a whole range of amazing beauty looks and hair styles hit the red carpet. One of our favourite stars was Zooey Deschanel who channelled 60’s style icon Jackie O with a blow-out. This look was made modern with extra height and volume, and an ultra up-to-date glossing technique called tone on tone that layers the same colour over the hair twice, leaving Zooey with a golden reflex through the ends of her hair.
Alan Buki and Wayne Lewis from Original & Mineral have given us a straightforward step-by-step guide to achieving this simple but stunning Zooey Deschanel Emmys red carpet look with ease and style. We love a hairstyle with minimum effort and maximum return!
Step One: To achieve this look it’s hugely important to layer staying products in the hair. When the hair is 80% dry use a heat protectant to create foundation and volume for the hair, then relayer with O&M’s Rootalicious Root Lift Mousse (RRP $31.95), and stretch hair out with a round brush, smoothing the ends and adding volume to the roots.
Step Two: Roll the hair into velcro rollers, and spray with O&M’s Original Queenie Firm-Hold Hairspray (RRP: $31.95) and allow to set for 30 minutes. Remove, shake and you’re red carpet ready!
A fan of Zooey’s fetching fringe? Alan and Wayne share their tips on creating the perfect fringe for formal events.
- Ensure your hair is super-clean, and blow dry straight to remove any kinks.
- A fringe draws attention to the eyes, so make sure your eye makeup is absolutely perfect.
- Get a trim a couple of days before the event, to allow it to settle in and for your fringe to sit naturally.
- If you’re using a fake fringe, make sure that it matches your hair colour perfectly, and is secured with a toupee clip.
- Finish the fringe with a light coat of hairspray to set the style.
- Anyone can have a fringe, regardless of kinks or cowlicks. Speak to your hairdresser about using keratin, which will smooth and straighten disobedient locks.
Rescu. Recommends: Don’t have a fringe? Fake it! Lady Jayne have launched a range of clip-on fringe hair extensions ($9.99), in a choice of one or two tones. This synthetic hair piece allows you to blow-dry and straighten your new fringe into the style you prefer, and is so easy to just clip-in and go! Pick yours up at Big W, Kmart, Target and leading pharmacies.
For more Emmys red carpet looks: